Thursday, November 17, 2011

Consistency of Provider

Another discussion of late has been the value of consistency of provider.  As your physical therapist, I make a concerted effort to obtain as thorough of an initial evaluation as I can.  This sets the stage for our working relationship; we have an understanding of what you are coming to see me for and how my skills can help you.  As we build our story of patient and provider, we continue to communicate history (that has influenced your particular impairments), current symptoms, and goals for future physical activity.  There is a trust that ensues; with more and more knowledge obtained by a single provider, the greater the chances of that provider having a true understanding of the puzzle pieces needed to be fit together to diminish, if not abolish, a patient's current complaints.  Therefore, when is it OK to see another provider?  We all have strengths and weaknesses.  I can't be an expert in all realms of physical therapy, however I can be humble enough and knowledgeable enough to 1) know various tools that may be advantageous to a patient's musculoskeletal improvement and 2) have credible contacts to refer my patients to for a more thorough and efficient plan of care.  How do we maintain our value to our patient when sharing care between providers?  Communicate!  Know what exact care is being given and when, attend that plan of care if you can, coordinate harmonious treatment schedules to constantly move toward obtaining the patients' independent goals.  Recognition of best treatment is my goal for my individual patients as a consistent physical therapy provider for individuals' life musculoskeletal needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment